Top 5 Hacks for Working Parents
May 06, 2020
Sunday is Mother's Day and we'd like to wish a Happy Mother's Day to moms everywhere! Real Estate Moms wear so many hats (including schoolteacher, for many mothers lately!) and it's always a challenge to juggle clients, family, running a household, and yes, time for ourselves. Real estate is the MOST intrusive career there is when it comes to work/life balance. The struggle is real!
Real Estate Moms wear so many hats (including schoolteacher, for many mothers lately!) and it's always a challenge to juggle clients, family, running a household, and yes, time for ourselves. Real estate is the MOST intrusive career there is when it comes to work/life balance. The struggle is real!
Here are our Top 5 hacks for working parents on the go:
- Order online - and not just during a pandemic! Use sites like chewy.com to order pet food straight to your door (plus it's cheaper than driving & hauling pet food home from the store!) Maximize your Amazon Prime membership by ordering school & office supplies, gifts (gift wrap, too), health & beauty items and basic household supplies.
- Keep greeting cards ready to go - from birthday cards, closing anniversary cards or just simple notecards, having them on hand saves time, and more importantly, helps you actually send them out (you know you should, but do you always?). When you drive away from a listing appointment or are waiting at a doctor's appointment, write a quick thank you note, drop it in the mail and you're done! Be sure to prep the envelopes ahead of time with your return address label & postage.
- Work more from the car even with kids - have a container always ready with snacks & water for the kids, sustenance for yourself (don't let yourself get hangry!), and special toys just for use in the car. There's no shame in letting the kids grab some extra screen time to help keep them quiet in the car when you have clients to call on your way home.
- Pay the kids for "on duty" time - If you ever have kids in tow during work activities, consider paying a small hourly fee ($1-4/hour) for time they spend running around with you while you work. One member pays her daughter $2/hour for time spent showing homes, or when she has to write a contract during family time. One condition: best behavior is required or there's no pay!
- Refine your favorite go-to gifts - be ready for all the usual occasions that you end up running out last minute to buy or order for. Pre-order and have items on hand, ready to give. From birthday gifts (for clients or kids), closing gifts and thank you gifts, decide once & for all what you're going to do. One member orders a pair of Tiffany stemless wine glasses shipped directly to the client (in a flashy Tiffany blue box) as a referral thank you gift. By taking the thinking out of the equation, you just have to grab and go (or order and go)!